Sunday, October 30, 2011

Happy Autumn!

It is a fantastically lovely Sunday morning out here in the Southern California desert. Our friends and family on the East Coast are suffering from an unseasonably cold October...like snow storm cold.  However, we're enjoying 80 degree weather and sunshine.

I woke up at 6:50 am with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. I dressed quickly in yoga pants and a sweatshirt and headed to the ranch.  Milking had already started but I arrived in time for the second goat.  I brought pineapple, watermelon and strawberry scraps and tried to entertain the milking goat while she patiently  stood on the stand.  Turns out my goats have actually neglected to learn that they are, in fact, goats.  My fresh fruit treats were totally ignored.

Our milk production has dropped dramatically since the weather has changed and estrous has begun again.  Turns out goats in heat are focusing on other things than milking.  Here's hoping that production picks up a bit in January when the mating season is officially over. Nonetheless, we're still getting between 1 qt and 1/2 gallon per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment